Frequently asked questions about our annual weekend meditation retreat at the Kadampa Temple in the Catskills with Kadam Morten.
Q: Where is the retreat taking place? Is it in New York City?
Q: Am I required to attend the full weekend event? Can I attend the Saturday sessions only?
Full weekend attendance is not required. You may register for Saturday attendance only.
Q. What are the onsite indoor accommodations like?
There are limited on-site indoor accommodations available at KMC NY. These include private single or double rooms, twin rooms, shared rooms (up to six people), and dorm rooms (8-10 people). These rooms may be booked online for the full weekend only. Partial bookings cannot be accepted for on-site indoor accommodations.
Q: Will I be helping out by serving meals, selling items in the cafe, or setting up the meditation room?
Yes! Our weekend retreats are run 100% by volunteers. There are a variety of jobs to suit everyone, from cooking and cleaning to washing up after meals, and helping in the gift store. Volunteer assignments and instructions will be emailed to you before the start of the retreat.
Q: Who can come? Is it for beginners?
Everyone is welcome, including beginners.
Q: Do I have to preregister, or can I just show up?
Preregistration is essential for this event, especially if you are seeking onsite accommodations. If you plan to attend Saturday only, preregistration is not required, but it is recommended.
Q: What should I bring with me?
Please bring rain gear, appropriate footwear, umbrella, etc. even if the weather report tells you otherwise. It’s a rural environment and can get muddy, slippery, and colder than you might think.
- For dorm & temple accommodations: sleeping bag/blanket, pillow, towel
- For all accommodations: extra bedding if you desire, flashlight, & toiletries
Q: When accommodations onsite are full, where can I stay offsite?
- Best Western Inn at Hunts Landing ~ Matamoras, PA ~ A hot Continental breakfast and high-speed internet are included. The fitness room and pool are also available to guests. Close to local restaurants and shopping centers. 25 minute drive to the Festival site.
- Hampton Inn ~ Matamoras, PA ~ Phone (570) 491-5280. Hot breakfast and high-speed internet are included. 25 minute drive.
- Days Inn ~ Port Jervis, NY ~ (845) 856-6611. Continental breakfast and high-speed internet are included. 20 minute drive from the temple.
- Inn at the Glen ~ Glen Spey, NY ~ Family B&B with 3 suites and 2 simple rooms. Full Retreat only. Please call (845) 468-4247 to inquire about Kadampa rates/availability. Breakfast included. Walking distance from KMC NY.
- Mohican Lake Resort ~ Glen Spey, NY ~ Rustic accommodation on a lake. Cabins with 2 double beds and shared spaces available. Please call for details: (845) 858-8784. Breakfast available. 7 minute drive.
- ECCE Bed & Breakfast ~ Barryville, NY ~ 5 Bedroom B&B on a bluff overlooking the Delaware River. Breakfast included. Book online or call (845) 557-8562. 20 minute drive.
- Milford Motel ~ Milford, PA ~ 19 room motel. Reserve by phone (570) 296-6411 or online. Free internet access and refrigerators in every room. Breakfast not included. 40 minute drive.
- Myer Country Motel ~ Milford, PA ~ Family owned “cottage” motel. Several room types available. Please call to inquire about availability 1 (800) 764-MYER. Free internet access and refrigerators in every room. Breakfast not included. Located across the street from the Milford Motel. 40 minute drive.
- Roebling Inn ~ Lackawaxen, PA ~ Historic 1870 landmark B&B with 5 guestrooms and a 1-bedroom cottage. Website link lists availability and amenities or call (570) 685-7900. Buffet breakfast available. 25 minute drive.
- Kayak.com has more local hotels.
- Airbnb, VRBO and HomeAway are great for finding local rentals near Glen Spey. Search for “Glen Spey, NY” “Catskills” or “Port Jervis, NY.”
Q: Can I get an accommodation for just one night?
Partial bookings cannot be accepted for on-site indoor accommodations.
Q: I am purchasing an onsite/offsite accommodation. Do I need to purchase meals separately, or are they included?
Meals are sold separately. If you would like meals, please purchase them. If you would prefer not to, you can purchase a savory snack in the cafe or eat offsite. Unfortunately there are no restaurant options within walking distance.
Q: How do I get to the retreat?
We hire a shuttle from KMC-NYC in Chelsea to the temple. The shuttle leaves promptly at 4pm Friday from KMC NYC in Chelsea and departs from the temple after lunch back to NYC on Sunday afternoon. Registration for the shuttle can be made when booking for the course.
Here is more information to help you plan your journey according to how you'll be traveling:
BY CAR: Please find driving directions here: http://kadampanewyork.
BY TRAIN: From Manhattan: take NJ Transit from Penn Station to Port Jervis; there is a connection in Secaucus. For a direct train from Hoboken: take the PATH train to Hoboken in NJ. From there take NJ Transit to Port Jervis (http://www.njtransit.com/). There are taxi cabs available at the Port Jervis train station to take you to the Kadampa Meditation Center New York.
BY BUS: At Port Authority station in Manhattan, take the Shortline bus (www.shortlinebus.com) to Matamoras, PA at the Best Western Hotel. From there, you can arrange a taxi to Kadampa Meditation Center New York.
TAXIS: J L Taxi Service (845.856.3544) or A1A Tristate Taxi (845.858.8294)