Frequently asked questions about our annual weekend meditation retreat at the Kadampa Temple in the Catskills with Kadam Morten.
When: Friday, April 6 – Sunday, April 8, 2018
Q: Where is the retreat taking place? Is it in New York City?
Q: Am I required to attend the full weekend event? Can I attend the Saturday sessions only?
Full weekend attendance is not required. You may register for Saturday attendance only. Please register in by Tuesday April 3rd at midnight EST in order for us to provide you with meals and shuttle service.
Q. What are the onsite indoor accommodations like?
There are limited on-site indoor accommodations available at KMC NY. These include private single or double rooms, twin rooms, shared rooms (up to six people), and dorm rooms (8-10 people). These rooms may be booked online for the full weekend only. Partial bookings cannot be accepted for on-site indoor accommodations. Check the registration page for pricing and room options (once it opens on March 7 2018).
Q: Will I be helping out by serving meals, selling items in the cafe, or setting up the meditation room?
Yes! Our weekend retreats are run 100% by volunteers! There are a variety of jobs to suit everyone, from cooking and cleaning to washing up, and helping out in the gift store. Volunteer assignments will be emailed out before the start of the retreat.
Q: Who can come? Is it for beginners?
Everyone is welcome, including beginners.
Q: Do I have to preregister, or can I just show up?
We request that all participants register by Tuesday April 3 at midnight EST in order for us to be able to provide enough meals as well as room on the shuttle from NYC. Especially if you are seeking onsite accommodations, preregistration is essential for this event. Do not assume that you will be able to receive accommodations at the temple without preregistering. If you plan to attend Saturday only, preregistration is not required, but it is recommended.
Q: What will the schedule be like?
The schedule is emailed to all registrants before the event. Here is the typical schedule (may vary slightly):
- Registration: 6 – 7:45pm
- Dinner: 6 – 7pm
- Introductory Session: 8 – 9:30pm
- Session 1: 9 – 10:30am
- Session 2: 11:30am – 1pm
- Lunch (two sittings): 1 – 1:30pm | 1:30pm – 2pm
- Wishfulfilling Jewel Puja: 2-3pm
- Session 3: 3:30 – 5pm
- Dinner (two sittings): 5:30 – 6:15pm | 6:15 – 7pm
- Session 4: 7:30 – 9pm
- Breakfast: 7 – 8am
- Session 1: 8:30 – 10am
- Session 2: 11am – 12:30pm
- Lunch (with Q&A): 1pm – departure
Q: What should I bring with me?
To be safe, bring rain gear. It can get muddy if it rains, so please bring appropriate footwear, umbrella, etc. If you are staying on-site, please bring the following:
- Dorm & temple accommodations: sleeping bag/blanket, pillow, towel
- All: Extra bedding if you desire, flashlight, & toiletries
Q: When accommodations onsite are full, where can I stay offsite?
Off-site hotels with special weekend retreat rates. $109 for 1 or 2 people, plus $10/night for each additional person (up to four people per room) at the Hampton Inn ~ Matamoras, PA ~ Phone (570) 491-5280. Book by Tuesday April 3 for special rates and mention “Kadampa.” Continental breakfast and high-speed internet are included. 22 minute drive from the temple.
Other Local hotels | Please note: shuttles are not provided for off-site accommodations.
- Days Inn ~ Port Jervis, NY ~ Phone (845) 856-6611. Continental breakfast and high-speed internet are included. 20 minute drive.
- Inn the Glen ~ Glen Spey, NY ~ Family B&B with 3 suites and 2 simple rooms. Full Festival only. Please call (845) 468-4247 to inquire about Kadampa rates/availability. Breakfast included. Walking distance from KMC NY.
- Mohican Lake Resort ~ Glen Spey, NY ~ Rustic accommodation on a lake. Cabins with 2 double beds and shared spaces available. Please call for details: (845) 858-8784. Breakfast available. 7 minute drive.
- ECCE Bed & Breakfast ~ Barryville, NY ~ 5 Bedroom B&B on a bluff overlooking the Delaware River. Breakfast included. Book online or call (845) 557-8562. 20 minute drive.
- Milford Motel ~ Milford, PA ~ 19 room motel. Reserve by phone (570) 296-6411 or online. Free internet access and refrigerators in every room. Breakfast not included. 40 minute drive.
- Myer Country Motel ~ Milford, PA ~ Family owned “cottage” motel. Several room types available. Please call to inquire about availability 1 (800) 764-MYER. Free internet access and refrigerators in every room. Breakfast not included. Located across the street from the Milford Motel. 40 minute drive.
- Roebling Inn ~ Lackawaxen, PA ~ Historic 1870 landmark B&B with 5 guestrooms and a 1-bedroom cottage. Website link lists availability and amenities or call (570) 685-7900. Buffet breakfast available. 25 minute drive.
- Kayak.com has more local hotels.
Q. What is the cost of accommodations at the temple?
- Temple Camping | $40 | Please bring a sleeping mat & all bedding (sleeping bag, pillow). Bring a towel. This price is for the whole weekend.
- Female Dorm Bed & Male Dorm Bed | $60 | 8-10 people per room. Includes bottom sheet and pillow. Please bring a sleeping bag or blanket and a towel. Add linens (top sheet, blanket and towel) for a one time additional fee of $5 (must bring cash to pay temple directly). This price is for the whole weekend.
- Female Shared Room & Male Shared Room | $100 | Six people in a room. Shared rooms include bunk beds. All linens and a towel are included in the fee. This price is for the whole weekend.
- Double (Price is Per Room) | $220 | Two people/one bed. The accommodation price is for two people. Only one person must book the room. This price is for the whole weekend.
- Deluxe Double (Price is Per Room) | $240 | Two people/one bed, includes sitting area & desk. The accommodation price is for two people. Only one person must book the room. This price is for the whole weekend.
- Twin Room (Price is Per Room) | $240 | Two people/two beds. Only one person must book the room. This price is for the whole weekend.
- Single Room $170 | This price is for the whole weekend.
Q: Can I get an accommodation for just one night?
Partial bookings cannot be accepted for on-site indoor accommodations.
Q: I am purchasing an onsite/offsite accommodation. Do I need to purchase meals separately, or are they included?
Meals are sold separately. If you would like meals, please purchase them. If you would prefer not to, you can purchase a savory snack in the cafe or eat offsite. Unfortunately there are no restaurant options within walking distance.
Q: How do I get to the retreat?
We hire a shuttle from KMC-NYC in Chelsea to the temple. The shuttle only accommodates the first 54 people who book it. The shuttle leaves promptly at 4pm Friday from KMC-NYC in Chelsea and departs from the temple after lunch back to NYC on Sunday afternoon. The cost is $50 for the round trip and is non-refundable. If you forget to book the shuttle and would like to add it to your registration, email Stephany at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if space is still available.
BY CAR: Please find driving directions here: http://kadampanewyork.org/visiting/getting-here
BY TRAIN: Take the PATH from 14th Street or 34th Steet to Hoboken. From there take NJ Transit Train to Port Jervis (http://www.njtransit.com/) There are taxi cabs available at the Port Jervis train station to take you to the Kadampa Meditation Center New York.
BY BUS: At Port Authority station, take Shortline bus (www.shortlinebus.com) to Matamoras, PA at the Best Western Hotel. From there, you can arrange a taxi to Kadampa Meditation Center New York.
TAXIS: J L Taxi Service (phone 845.856.3544) or A1A Tristate Taxi (phone 845.858.8294)
Q: I have a question that is not answered here. Should I call the upstate temple?
No, you can contact Stephany at email@example.com or (212) 924-6706.